Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Small Tolkien-Related Amusing Thing(s)

This is just something I found on Tumblr that I thought was pretty good:


Shout out to Thorin Oakenshield for getting lost in the Shire not once, but twice.

#not all those who wander are lost #(but some are)

|| too majestic to ask for directions

||| Even the Ringwraiths asked for directions.

|||| Love this fandom.


In other Tolkien-related new, a war has erupted in the fandom- a war between the Aragorn fans and the Thorin fans. I'm not kidding. There are some who think Aragorn is the best possibly character ever, citing his Messiah-like qualities and praising him to the skies. To them, he can do no wrong, and Thorin can do no good.

Then there's the Thorin fans, who grudge Aragorn his happy ending, complete with Elven bride and reunited kingdoms. Said fans look down on Aragorn for 'having everything easy' and write essays in defense of Thorin and his motives.

Personally, I have to agree with points on either side. Aragorn didn't actually have everything easy, but Thorin does have his good qualities (which the movie emphasizes). Also, I don't know why everyone keeps saying that Thorin's pride and greed will lead to his downfall, because, if you've read the book, that's not what happens at all. Granted, it does lead to the Arkenstone Debacle, but it doesn't cause Thorin's downfall.

And since the rest is spoilers I suppose I'll have to leave it there.

However, I can say that I'm on neither the Aragornites' side nor the Thorinites' side. I would love to say that I am on the side of reason and logic, and nobody is altogether on my side (to paraphrase Treebeard). That being said, Thorin does have Aragorn absolutely beat in the contest of sheer majesty. Majestic Thorin is majestic.

In Pace Christ,

Elyse

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a fan of Aragorn, but recently (ever since the Hobbit movies), I've thought Thorin is awesome as well. Surely there is a place for the few who think both characters can be awesome at the same time? :)

    ReplyDelete