Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This is a rant.

Yes, this is a rant. I don't know how long of a rant it is going to be, but it will be a rant. Yes, I love that word. Rant. It's a great word, but not great enough to deter me from doing any actual ranting.

UNA HAS GOT TO GET SOME SORT OF AWNING FOR THE PEOPLE WAITING ON SHUTTLES!
That is simply all there is to it! It's insulting enough when the on-campus bus goes by two or three times (or even the apartment bus, which went by TWICE today, and it usually goes by only once every 30-45 minutes!) and the parking deck bus goes by twice and you name it, but to have to stand in the storm with rain pelting at you... augh. Put it this way, the pavement around the fountain was in two inches of water. Good thing I wore my boots today. I looked out the window and said to myself, "Hmm, looks like rain." Boy, was I right. I don't know what the people wearing pajama pants and flip-flops do in this sort of weather. I honestly don't know.

But, seriously, we need an awning. If they're going to make us wait thirty minutes for a stupid shuttle, we need an awning. We roast in the summertime when there's not enough shade to go around, and we freeze in the winter. But we will freeze and roast more gladly if there is somewhere to get out of the rain or the sun! (As an aside, people haven't begun protesting in the president's yard. Yet...) Additionally, having the trees lining the walk is great in the summer, but in the middle of a thunderstorm... yeah, we're standing under the trees. Yup, intelligent thing to do. A couple of people can cram under that little building in the parking lot, but not all the half a dozen people that have accumulated by the time the shuttle finally rolls around.

Occasionally, there are entertaining people standing at the stop with you, who will say funny things and distract your mind from the cold/rain/flurries/sun/whatever form of inclement weather Alabama is currently throwing at you, but this is not often. Most of the time, we stand around in an awkward silence. Most just stare into space. I stamp my numb feet and turn back and forth (a habit of mine).

On a less rant-y note, I don't even want to know what the basketball-tossing thing in the Guillot today was for, do I...?

On an at least positive note, I had my first chemistry lab today with Dr. Moeller, and he's great. We cooked popcorn. No, we didn't eat it. My popcorn kept sailing out of the beaker and over the bench- once it landed on top of the bench, and I was everywhere looking for it... Haha, as a short person, I don't think of looking on top for something right away. To add to the interest, someone broke a beaker today. No explosions yet, so that's a success, I suppose.

Okay, I feel a bit better now that I have gotten that rant out of my system, but let me inform you, UNA, that my clothes still haven't dried out. FOUR HOURS LATER.

In Pace Christi,

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment