Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Yet More Events in My Semester So Far

I still cannot help but point out that those Go Greek! buttons, when translated back again into English letters, say Go GSSK!

Get it into your heads, people, that sigmas, no matter how much they may superficially resemble 'E', are not, in fact, e's at all. They are 's's. The letter e in Greek is Epsilon. The capital version of it is... drumroll please... E.

If you want to Greek-alize your slogan, use the letters gamma and rho. Of course, your end result would be something like:

ΓO   ΓPEEK!

Which, admittedly, probably wouldn't convey much to people. But at least it would be more accurate. Yes, the Greek rho looks like a P. Or, I suppose, you could use lowercase Greek letters (yes, they exist) for extra geeky points, and get something like:

Γο   Γρεεκ!

Yes, lowercase epsilons do look like uppercase sigmas, and I might almost be prepared to excuse them on that case... except sigmas are pointy. Lowercase epsilons are not. For goodness's sakes, Greek letters are in programs as old as Microsoft Word 2000. Yes, I know this for a fact. I believe it has Cyrillic, too. Anyway, you could have just looked it up there instead of basing it off a nodding acquaintance with the alpha-beta based on memorizing sorority and fraternity names.

Now that I have that out of my system, I shall proceed to announce that if the best time to get lunch in the Guillot is 10:45 or so, the work time is at 10:55 when all the people who have just gotten out of class pour in. Unfortunately, I am now among this herd of ravenous people. However, I do have the sense not to look in vain for a seat in the Guillot, and instead head over to Lafayette, where things are always much more entertaining and welcoming. Today I had the courage to pull a chair over to the circle of people. Wow. Didn't know I had it in me.

Apparently, the residents of Lafayette are playing Humans vs Zombies. This is highly entertaining, especially when a few zombies lay in wait outside our speech classroom in order to nab their victims. I went a few minutes early purely to watch the show.

In Pace Christi,

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment