Wednesday, May 2, 2012

P.S. I Have More to Say

Obviously, I've gotten the exemption on my calculus final, so I am not in a puddle of my own tears screaming, "No, precioooouuusss!" Instead, yes, I am doing a happy dance of joy.

Mom says I should email Dr. Gren now and ask if I have to take the chemistry final. I feel that would be impudent (I'm very wary of being impudent towards teachers) and so refuse to do so. She thinks it would be funny. Remember, these are my parents who also wanted me to wear one of dad's old ATO shirts in order to see if Christian would react (he's in cal 2 and he's in ATO).

Oh, and Dr. Olive seemed like he would be a pretty cool teacher. He brought his two girls with him to the awards banquet. Just... awwwww. He also did a really good blessing before the meal. I didn't know you could be faculty and get away with that, but he did. Maybe because it wasn't a proper school function? Who cares?!

And, yes, I got The Serpent's Shadow and The Invaders yesterday. I have already finished the first and handed it off to Peter to read. It was skinnier than the other two Kane Chronicles books (sad face) but it was seriously funny. I almost died laughing when in one chapter Sadie dragged her brother, Carter, to a school dance. Then followed one of the most epic in-universe cross-overs ever! It already hinted in the first two books that the Kane Chronicles take place in the same world as Percy Jackson (Carter seeing a flying horse over Manhatten, anyone?), but that chapter went nuts with the idea. It turns out that Lacy and Drew (her last name's Tanaka!) from The Lost Hero (the girl with braces and the Aphrodite dictator, respectively... apparently, Lacy somehow managed to make her braces match her dress...) go to Sadie's school! LOL! Lacy apparently tried explaining to Sadie that she goes to the same, cough cough, 'summer camp' as Drew and Drew had tried to be a dictator there... haha, until she met Piper, that is! Anyway, Sadie talks Lacy into trying to teach Carter to dance (epic lulz), and Drew makes Sadie want to turn her into an earthworm by acting interested in Walt. Any potential fight was broken up by... DUN DUN DUN.... Anubis crashing the dance!!!!

Yep. The Egyptian god of toilet paper, excuse me, of death and funerals crashed the dance. Even MORE epic lulz.

As you might have expected, the girls stare like morons at Anubis and start muttering, "Oh my god, oh my god," which in this instance is pretty funny as he IS an Egyptian god. Thank heavens for Rick Riordan and his puns, which are so terrible they are hilarious! (The dam store, anyone?)

I won't spoil the endings, but the whole Walt/Anubis thing which, although solved in a manner that was, I admit, sheer and total literary brilliance and calculated to frazzle the circuits of almost all the fangirls' feeble little minds, annoyed me. I hated the whole hosting-the-gods concept (I'm not big on possession, demonic, godly, or pharaonic [by the way, that ISN'T a word; the makers of Yu-Gi-Oh made it up, though, and I'm quoting them], if you haven't noticed, which is why I really don't care about Atem in YGO, even if he does have a Puzzle to sit around in, and why I prefer Dark Magician, who is also infinitely cuter. Yes, I just typed that. You may go faint now) to begin with, so the ending, while dazzlingly brilliant in its novelty (it's like, DUH, why did we not think of that obvious solution; we were all thinking either/or, and instead Riordan took the third option of both), is still annoying. It's not fair. If you think about it too long, it warps your mind. Yu-Gi-Oh at least acknowledged that Tea liking both Yugi and the Pharaoh, who is living inside Yugi, is weird. Riordan embraces that, however, in all its weirdness.

I prefer Thoth. (I also liked Anubis a bit better before he... I promised myself I would do any spoilers.) I still want to know how Thoth can appear without a mortal host. Or does he have one and it just isn't mentioned??? Gah, see, that whole concept is confusing. I wish I could slide down bannisters like that, though.

BEST. LINE. IN. THE. BOOK. --
Set: "That's my boy!"
Anubis: "Shut up, father."

You see, I had PREDICTED that Anubis, who basically shows up in the first two books for Sadie to drool over, tells her he can't help her with the monsters chasing her (they're always chasing her), gives her something or tells her some information, and departs, would enter in some EPIC way in this last book and prove that the overlooked jackal boy is, by the way, the SON OF THE GOD OF EVIL, DESERTS, AND CHAOS (Set, that is) and procede to kick some heinie. The moment would have been even more epic without a certain annoying sau (cough, cough), but, whatever.

I can now go console myself with The Invaders. Man, John Flanagan's writing gets better and better. The ways his characters interact is simply priceless (Svengal's many aunts, anyone?). I've found that myself. The longer and more I write, the more my characters' interactions becomes easier to write, more personality-filled, and simply more realistic. I find myself inserting pointless scenes (like Lanner opening a closet in Book 1 and a bunch of brooms and mops falling on him) in the middle of dialogue. Because I can. And because I love my characters. I've learned to let Eltieralyu tease his brother for a variety of reasons (1. Because he can. 2. Stress relief. 3. Revenge for Menadun being an annoying sibling. 4. Honestly, a lot of things Menadun does deserve it.), and Menadun to complain, "How come you never take my side?"

I can also console myself with Yu-Gi-Oh. Seto Kaiba, anyone? He's named after SET! Rockin' Red Reaper, anyone? The only thing annoying is that they made Anubis some weird villain, but that was in a movie so it's not really canon anyways. Bwahaha.

I'm not really sure what this post is about, other than to rant. Probably a good time to sign off.

In Pace Christi,

Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment